Now Hiring Immigration Fellow
Position: Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps Legal Fellow
Description: The Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps Fellow will be one of 46 lawyers and paralegals working throughout the United States to provide representation to unaccompanied immigrant children, as part of the Justice AmeriCorps Program. The Fellow will be responsible for conducting thorough intakes of clients aged 15 and younger and providing direct legal representation in immigration and related proceedings, including cases involving asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile status, and other forms of relief.
The term of service is one year, beginning in October 2016.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Handle client caseload, providing direct representation to unaccompanied children aged 15 and younger
- Conduct thorough intakes to determine the forms of legal relief available
- Represent children in immigration removal proceedings, as well as before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and state court proceedings related to a child’s immigration case
- Mentor pro bono attorneys to represent children in immigration or state court proceedings
- Screen clients for trauma, abuse, and trafficking
- Make referrals to additional services as appropriate
- Assume general administrative responsibilities, including grant compliance, data collectin, timekeeping, case management, and other tasks related to AmeriCorps and Equal Justice Works program compliance
- Must hold a J.D.
- Spanish language fluency
- Experience in immigration or family law (preferred)
- Experience working with children (preferred)
- Position is contingent on eligibility determine by the results of a criminal history check