PEOPLE WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
Call (239) 775-4555 for assistance
Disabled individuals of all ages and those with special needs are particularly vulnerable and often need protection under the law to access medical care, obtain housing, secure employment, and for children with special needs, to obtain the supports and services they need at school that are required under law.
Legal Aid has a dedicated Education Legal Rights Project, included within the Legal Aid for Collier Kids Project.
Legal Aid provides the following services to assist disabled individuals and those with special needs:
- Senior Women at-risk – legal services to address legal issues affecting the economic security and stability of senior women and their caretakers
- Children with special needs – services include Individualized Education Plans (IEP’s), 504 plans, independent testing and evaluation, appropriateness of school placement, securing required supports and services, resolving enrollment disputes, contesting inappropriate disciplinary actions, Due Process Hearings
- Title III – assisting seniors with disabilities on a wide range of civil legal matters
- Housing – ensuring appropriate accommodations required by the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Employment – securing reasonable accommodations needed for workers with disabilities
- Medical and income benefits – Social security including SSD and SSDI, SSI, Medicaid, Medicare, other public benefits to meet basic needs
- Housing – including assisted living