(Including Public Benefits and Other Services)
Legal Aid Service of Collier County offers free legal services on a wide range of Consumer Law and other issues to eligible low-income clients in need.
One component of this Project is to support income maintenance and the self-sufficiency of individuals and struggling working families in need.
The Consumer Law Unit can assist clients with issues that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Public benefits (like foodstamps, unemployment compensation, and SSI, to name a few)
- Unpaid wage claims
- Defending against Credit and collections actions (including small claims)
- Veterans benefits
- Identity Fraud
- Consumer Fraud
- Unlicensed Contractors
- Unlawful contracts
- Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
Public Benefits Overview
Our public benefits attorneys work to secure access to critical safety net benefits so that our clients are able to obtain the governmental services and assistance to which they are legally entitled. We provide direct client representation in administrative appeals, litigation, and agency advocacy in matters involving a broad range of public benefits including food stamps, unemployment insurance, health care, and TANF, among others.
You may wish to contact Legal Aid if you have questions regarding a public benefits program or have experienced any of the following problems during your benefits process:
- You have been terminated from your benefits and do not think you should have been
- You have been denied benefits or your benefits have been reduced and you think this decision is in error
- You have been sanctioned
- There have been delays in the processing of your application
- You won your administrative hearing but have not yet received benefits
Funding for this project is provided in part by the Collier Community Foundation and by the United Way of Collier and the Keys.