HOUSING PRESERVATION & HOMELESSNESS PREVENTION
Legal Aid realizes that shelter is a basic human need – and that individual dignity and family stability begins with safe and adequate housing. Furthermore, for struggling working families and lower to middle-income households, homeownership and the chance to build equity is a primary vehicle to build wealth, generate savings, and avoid generational cycles of poverty.
For more information on Legal Aid’s Housing Unit, click here.
Legal Aid offers the following assistance on housing-related legal matters:
- Foreclosure defense – and alternatives to foreclosure
- Eviction defense – and defense of unlawful shutoff of utilities by Landlord; unsafe living conditions, improper retention of security deposit or personal property
- Housing discrimination
- Americans with Disabilities Act claims – failure to make reasonable accommodations required under law
- Removing barriers to affordable housing
- Section 8
- Resolving disputes concerning mobile homes
- HOA liens and Reverse mortgages
- Senior Housing and assisted living
- Remedies for victims of domestic violence – including seeking remedies for Exclusive Use and Possession of the Marital Home
- Disaster Relief Legal Services